Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Rootbeer Bourbon Glazed Wings




For the super bowl we busted out the smoker and put these wings in there for about 2 hours. All I needed was a glaze to coat them. Thank you Emeril. I found this glaze on foodnetork.com, and it worked nicely. The smoking added a nice touch but you could easily grill or bake them.

As for the plethora of flavors, I didn't get a big bourbon flavor, so I would maybe increase that in the future. I also added 2 Thai bird chilies for some heat (I'll put some more in next time). The rootbeer I used was Virgil's microbrewed (whole foods, glad I had a couple extras to drink) and I actually found the Pick-A-Peppa sauce at world market (which by the way is a great place to buy spices). This recipe made about 40 wings and there was glaze left over.

Glaze:
2 (12-ounce) cans/bottles root beer
2 tablespoons hot pepper jelly
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons steak sauce (recommended: Emeril's Steak Sauce)
1 teaspoon Caribbean Pick-A-Peppa sauce
6 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
2 teaspoons bitters (recommended: Angostura)
1 cup bourbon
1 cup sugar
2 thai bird chilies

Method:

To make the glaze, place all of the ingredients for the glaze in a 6-quart pot or larger, and cook over medium-high heat. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil, stirring often to dissolve the sugar. Once the mixture has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and allow the mixture to reduce to a glaze consistency, about 25 to 30 minutes longer. Remove the glaze from the stove and strain though a fine mesh strainer. Reserve and keep warm, until ready to use.

Toss cooked wings in glaze and broil for 1-2 minutes while watching. These will burn quickly.

5 comments:

  1. Those look pretty darn good. I wound up making some homemade Mac and Cheese with two kinds of white cheddar, two kinds of montery jack,and some parmesan... and bacon of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then where's the post dawg.......?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah yeah, I'm a busy man. I also made some potato and leek soup tonight. Were thinking about heading up to the cbus some weekend soon maybe march. You guys got any free weekends?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeff, was your macaroni and cheese creamy or egg-like? I have had a terrible time getting my mac and cheese the creamy consistency I like. Most recipes that include egg and are baked usually wind up more casserole-ish than I like. Please tell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Leann it was totoally egg/ casserole Ike which has happened the other times I've baked mac and cheese as well. It was good but totolally would have preferred creamy. I think the next time I'll just do it all on the stovetop and skip the baking.

    ReplyDelete