Sunday, February 21, 2010

First Deep Dish


Deep Dish

So here is my first go at a deep dish. It was edible the crust was not so good. It looks really good in the pictures, but the texture was all wrong. Deep dish dough in theory is a lot easier than traditional pizza dough. You basically just mix all the salt, yeast, water, and 80% of the flour together, wait 20mins, then add in the remaining flour and the oil, mix to combine, and boom- Deep Dish Dough. Here is the dough formula I used.

Flour (100%): 204.01 g | 7.2 oz | 0.45 lbs

Water (48%): 97.92 g | 3.45 oz | 0.22 lbs

IDY (.4%): 0.82 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.27 tsp | 0.09 tbsp

Salt (.5%): 1.02 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.21 tsp | 0.07 tbsp

Olive Oil (5%): 10.2 g | 0.36 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.27 tsp | 0.76 tbsp

Corn Oil (18%): 36.72 g | 1.3 oz | 0.08 lbs | 8.16 tsp | 2.72 tbsp

Total (171.9%): 350.69 g | 12.37 oz | 0.77 lbs | TF = 0.125

Semolina 20% = 41 g

AP 80% = 163 g

Per the instructions, 20% of the total flour was Semolina. This was enough dough to make one 9in pie, with the crust going 1.5in up the sides. I cold fermented mine in the fridge over night, and then gave it two hours at room temperature to come up to 60 degrees or so. I greased up a spring form pan and pushed the dough in.

First I layered the provolone. I used 7 ounces, and think that next time I will use that plus some mozzarella. Then went the sausage. The technique is basically to make a thin patty of raw mild Italian. I used 4 links and it was too much, next time I’ll try 3, or possibly 2. Next was a layer of pepperoni. Then some chopped green peppers and red onion. Topped that all off with some chunky sauce that was made from 1 can of 6 in 1 tomatoes, that I drained most of the water out of. I added some honey, garlic power, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and olive oil. The sauce actually turned out really well and was probably the best part of the pizza. Topped that with some grated parmesan and into a 450 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes. It was a good first effort, but still needs some work.

4 comments:

  1. Damn, that looks awesome. I was watching "the best thing I ever ate" and it looks like Duff's favorite pizza from Gino's East pizza in chicago, especially the enormous sausage patty part. Was the texture of the crust bad, or what? and how you gonna fix it bro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I definitely had the enormous sausage patty thing going on. Not sure how I'm gonna fix it. I asked for some advice on the pizza forum. I'm sure an actual deep dish pan will help, but not sure what else. Yeah, it was bad, bad enough for me not to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that pizza looks amazing! Sucks it didn't turn out they way you wanted it to. I've never added honey to a sauce like that. Is that something you do often?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it did look good. I've got try number 2 coming up on Friday, so I'm not whipped yet. Basically I used the honey to just sweeten up the tomatoes a little bit, I usually add like a teaspoon of sugar, but thought I'd give honey a try. Couldn't tell that there was honey in it, but it was pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete