Friday, February 5, 2010

Ahi Poke







We made sushi tonight and made some delicious rolls. However, our favorite dish of the night was some ahi poke (po-key) that we recreated from our trip to Hawaii, so thats the recipe thats going up. I also included some pictures of the sushi rolls. We used brown rice for the first time and it worked well but takes about an hour to make. We also made masago for the first time which was okay, but probably wont make it again. Here are all the rolls we made:

Urban Roll: Tuna, Avacado, Cream Cheese, Carrots, Siraccha, Sesame Oil

Spicy Tuna: Tuna, Cucumber, Avacado

Beth's Philly Roll: Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, Cucumbers, Carrots


Ahi Poke

Ingredients:

8oz. Ahi Tuna
2 green onions sliced thin
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro*
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon Sesame oil
1 teaspoon Crushed red pepper
salt or soy sauce to taste
sesame seeds for garnish

Method:
Dice ahi into small 1/8 inch cubes. Combine oil, crushed red pepper, ginger, cilantro, and green onions in a bowl. Add tuna and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Add salt or soy sauce before serving.

Note: Poke can be served by itself, in a lettuce cup, or on a cracker (or in a sweet ass star shaped mold as pictured) It should also be served with an ice cold Asahi.

*if you happen to have fresh Hawaiian seaweed (Ogo) use that, or let me know where you find it in Ohio.

11 comments:

  1. Nice! I've some pretty delicious california rolls with real crab, but haven't ventured into raw fish yet. Where'd you get your tuna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it directly from the coulumbus fish market restaraunt. they have them in cincy now. it was about $20/lb and i asked for a half pound and he gave me another half pound for free. so I paid $10 for a pound of awesome tuna. whole foods also has it sometimes but they were out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we figured you need about a 2oz per roll

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homemade sushi!!! Looks crazy good. First question: how is your spicy tuna spicy.... Siracha? Second Question: have you ventured into inside-out roll territory? Those are fun to make and you can fan the avocado slices on top into a caterpillar roll. Also, we need to look into homemade pickled ginger we talked about and find an awesome recipe. Maybe I'll write into the Kitchn and ask them. I mean I'm on there site every freakin day now so it's no problem on my part. I haven't heard of Poke before but I see why you like it. Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, don't know what you guys are using for wasabi, but I use the powder and it works really well. Also wasabi peas are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great Andy! Chris will have to post his most proud concotion ("The Chick-Fil-A Roll") next time he wraps some sushi. Sounds weird, tastes great, and must be terrible for you (Rice, Fried Chicken, Mayo).

    PS. Is anyone going to give the women posting rights? I have been cooking left and right (showing off, perhaps) with the hopes of getting a coveted "Guest Column."

    PSS. Whoever said the Saints are going to win is an ass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also use the wasabi powder. Easy to use and easy to store. FYI: a just submitted a question to The Kitchn regarding homemade pickled ginger. Also, Leeann didn't mention the pickle in the Chick-Fil-A roll. And its a wasabi mayo that I use. It has a cult following if I do say so myself.
    PS: she's been taking pictures of all her food just in case she gets called up for duty. Maybe I'll let her use my post as a guest-poster one day.......?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was very pro leann posting rights, bur leaving out details like pickle and spicy mayo has me a little worried.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh-oh, Beth is taking pictures of her food too..... I'm expecting some good food from our kitchens today. Beth doesn't eat Mayo so my spicy tuna is just tuna and siracha. And I picked the saints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For my spicy mayo I use sirachi and a couple drops of sesame oil.

    ReplyDelete